Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2018

Maybe the Sexism Glass is Half Full


As a product of post-feminist America, I’ve enjoyed a life of limited sexism. After working over a decade, I chose to stay home with my kids and unfortunately felt more reverse sexism for that choice from females than I had ever experienced blatantly from men in the workforce. My children now range in age from 12-21 and during their upbringing I’ve been acutely attuned to how they will perceive sexism and their place in the world as women and men.  At home my husband and I decided and agreed on many traditional roles: he fixes the cars, I do the laundry, he takes the garbage down to the curb, I prepare the dinners.  My children know that this is a lifestyle their parents discussed and agreed upon prior to marriage.  Over the years I’ve taken part time jobs and even went back to school to become a teacher.  My husband thoroughly supported me and has said many times (in front of the children) that he will support whatever choice I make: back to work full-time or home pursuing volunteer activities and my writing. I’ve chosen the latter as full-time work was fun and fulfilling, but definitely impacted a sense of peace in my home that I cherish.


Our Girls Are Being Raised to Dream Big: Let’s Not Insult them with Trite Slogans
On weekends I meet up with a couple of other families at a ski resort where our children ski and snowboard. Prior to a “Girls Rock the Park” event which coincided with “International Woman’s Day” the women’s bathroom shelf was supplied with stacks of post-in notes and pens.  The mirror became covered with positive slogans to encourage girls.  “#Girls Rock,” “Be your best you!,” “Be Brave!,” Clearly anyone could add a note. It was fun to read but I couldn’t think of anything new to add. I walked out wondering what it would look like if the men’s room had the post-it notes for self-encouragement. Obviously, they don’t need that type of superficial encouragement. If boys are being raised with confidence, then why do girls need these reminders?  Fortunately, the girls (ages 11-14) in our group supplied my answer. When I asked if they saw “what was in the bathroom,” they abandoned their hot cocoas and scurried to see. Upon their return they were somewhat deflated and obviously not enthused or encouraged by the signage. They added to the remarks but the oldest pointed out that some of the notes were backhanded insults to boys and it’s wrong to put others down to make yourself feel better. This group of girls clearly doesn’t need little notes of encouragement to try their best and achieve their goals. And it just seems important to me that the girl who eloquently found that putting down boys should not be accepted is being raised by two moms. (so toss out some stereotypes, please)

Plenty of Adult Men are Slayers of Sexism Too!
Today I had my own tiny sexist experience. But the response from several men is what really blew me away. I belong to a FB group for a certain type of electric car. I’m a bit of a gearhead myself with an interest in cars and worked for many years installing computer systems and training others how to use them which at the time was a field with more males than females. I’ve maintained my technical expertise to a degree. Here’s the post which I couldn’t resist responding to:





I’m the only one from the US, the others are from Europe, Canada, Asia, and Australia so I literally had men around the world standing up for me to that one ignoramus. I accept that ignoramuses like Hal exist for every social, political and cultural idea and belief. As long as they are the minority and not hurting anyone they can stay in their holes and coexist with others. I realize I’m not going to change Hal’s belief system but hopefully he realizes that in a public forum his view will not be accepted. (the next morning even more men & women responded with their dislike of Hal's comment - he has since been removed from the group.)

My Daughter Can Disarm a Sexist
Last summer my college student daughter found herself hired as a kitchen worker in a large touristy restaurant by a female manager. When the male owner met her, he clearly looked her up and down and told his manager that they’d have to see if they could find a job for her “out front” (as a waitress or hostess). Insulted but undeterred my daughter showed up for work and in her usual style fulfilled and exceeded all expectations of the job!  She later learned from the other staff that she was the first female to last more than a couple of days in the kitchen.  So she has her own story of handling sexism and she didn’t shrink, she didn’t leave, she didn’t report the jerk, she SHOWED him what she was made of and just maybe he will view his next female employee with a little more respect.

What does this all say about American today? It says we need to be grateful for where we are as women. We need to use these types of stories to demonstrate the positive examples that can be emulated. Rather than covering our news feeds with every bad sexist comment anyone ever said, let’s show our sons and daughters examples of how to identify and overcome sexism.


No comments:

Post a Comment