Search This Blog

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Why I Don't Watch Daytime TV


I had already finished a morning appointment and walked Otis so I sat down to enjoy my 2nd cuppa of the day. Hoping to catch some Olympics/South Korean lifestyle info I tuned in to NBC's Kathie & Hoda (but it's Jenna)...I'm listening to their idle chit-chat, which is fine for my downtime, then they introduce their bi-weekly diet & exercise tips called "One Small Thing."  My ears perk up, I’m always interested in new reasonable ideas to help my health and weight loss journey. Sweet little Joy the nutritionist offers up melting chocolate chips and pouring them over rice krispies (made from brown rice) as a healthy snack. Joy honey, chocolate chips and cereal eaten dry during the day is how I got to be this size in the first place!

When Dr. Oz seemed to speak so logically on Oprah, I tuned in to one of his first shows.  He was reviewing the book “Eat This, Not That.”  An example he gave was that when you go to Burger King (….whoa! Wait a minute, Burger King for healthy food? Ok, I’ll listen, maybe they have salads) instead of getting the Whooper whatever you can substitute a veggie burger.  That was the last Dr. Oz episode I watched. Fast food is quick, cheap and unhealthy. And for some people there are times when “quick & cheap” trumps unhealthy and a fast food meal once a month may happen. But if you are trying to be healthy, here’s an idea: don’t go Burger King!

There’s also a nationwide health club that purports to be for regular people (not weightlifters). I’ve seen their commercials and they serve Pizza!  That’ll make sure you keep coming back (double meaning there, get it?).

My weight loss journey (I’m 17 months in) is incredibly slow, really, really slow,  but it is working and my doctor is happy with my progress and lifestyle changes.  I feel happier, healthier and know I am cementing knew habits.  Occasionally I do grab some of those chocolate chips out of the cabinet, Joy. Fast food is a twice a year emergency meal and I go to a gym that offers water bottles for sale (and protein shakes for those weightlifters I hang out with).

Americans are already the fattest people in the world. Even our average birth weight is higher than other Western countries. The only way I can hope to effect any change to our society is through awareness. Please be aware of what you are putting in your body. Be aware of the motivations of big food corporations, which is primarily profit, not health. If you are tiny and fit, like Joy, don't discover a food that us fatties have been bingeing on all along!  If you want to indulge on the weekend, have a chocolate croissant or something else that is in a portion size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment