Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2018

My Mom-Brain stays Vigilant on Vacation


Standing in the warm California sun my daughters and I watch for a red Toyota Corolla.  Although we are technically at CBX airport, we are the only ones on this side street with our luggage at the curb.  After dropping off our rental car I thought it would be easier for our Lyft driver to find us here than walking back to the terminal where so many shuttles and taxis jockeyed for position at the curb.

“Eduardo?”

“Carol?”

And so another Lyft/Uber/”Transportation in the the year 2018” ride begins.  Since the car is small, I sit in front noting the driver using 2 cell phones and both are in Spanish.  I’m worried he will take us to the wrong hotel. He fiddles with both phones and I complement that his car is a manual transmission attempting a connection which seems usual when opting for a personal driver vs. a taxi. Yes, he only drives manual. I don’t feel like volunteering that both of my adult children also drive manual and it is a theft deterrent. Feeling a bit ‘off’ I cannot sustain anymore small talk.  


What if his wave to some men on the street is a signal that he has a couple young gringas to sell…and this old lady they’ll need to dispose of. I try to convince myself I watch too much Law & Order and try to decide how this abduction could occur. We are literally within 1/10 mile of the Mexican border. Maybe there is a secret tunnel – Mexicans come into the country through it, but also unsuspecting Americans are smuggled out. If we get into the tunnel by driving into a warehouse and I protest, what could I do? They open the doors and make us get out – we have nothing, no luggage, no purse, no id, no money.  Shouting in Spanish they start to push my girls to another vehicle.  I scream and plead…but will I just be shot?  Does my story end?

Although the road seemed unfamiliar, I’m starting to see San Diego come into view. Maybe we really are moving away from the border and toward our hotel. My heart rate slowly decreases. He’s handling the shifting well, it’s smooth but still a little jerky. We’re definitely in San Diego now and I suppose I definitely watch too much Law & Order. As we pull up to the hotel Eduardo helps us with our bags and we say good bye.  When my notification pops up at the conclusion of the ride I give him the highest suggested tip, after all, we weren’t smuggled to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment