Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2017

How to Exercise & Eat Healthfully over Summer Vacation

I haven’t blogged in over a week because I’ve been cementing my healthy goals into my summer routine. Many of us moms with school-age children operate on an entirely different schedule in the summer. Those bits of time we’ve carved for ourselves when the kids are in school have vanished and now new challenges threaten to sidetrack our health program.
For me summer means moving to a shoreline cottage with habits of ice cream runs and fried clam dinners. This year I knew I had to change those habits. 

Preparation:  Mental preparation is a tool that should never be underestimated.  I began planning for my new routine by identifing my challenges:
  • ·         No Gym nearby
  • ·         My usual walk/run spots would be unavailable and I have yet to find comparable parks nearby (specifically ones where I can let my dog run off-leash on trails with me).
  • ·         How to break the cycle of eating more because “I’m on vacation” and because “every year we eat…”

Create Solutions:
  • ·         No Gym? My husband foraged through our sons’ weight sets and created 2 dumbbells for me (they are now 12# each, and I have four 5# rings I can add.  In addition I brought with me a Kettlebell that adjusts to various weights and my yoga mat.
  • ·         Walk/Run?  I need to get out every day to a State Park which I have easy access to; I’ve realized it’s time to separate dog walks from my runs.
  • ·         Eating more on “vacation mode?” Setup a kitchen full of healthy food and stay committed. I’ve finally (at age 51) realized that I can buy sweets that I don’t crave for my children.  I always took pleasure in sharing special treats with them that we both enjoyed. 
Practice:
As soon as I unpacked on my first Saturday I ran through my arms strength training routine with my weights.  I’ve done it 3 times in the past week and I’m committed to making it a habit.

My location is set on the CT shoreline with beautiful views! I need to be out running and enjoying my setting. It’s become habit to walk my dog first (warm-up), then bring him home and leave for my walk/run. Although I hope his endurance returns in the cooler weather, for now 1 mile in the morning and another in the evening are enough for him.
I’ve researched some local gyms and may be using a “trial week” at a few if I feel that will help my goals. For now I feel the weights and runs are giving me what I need in exercise.  I’ve also participated in a weekly outdoor yoga class.

Healthy nutrition is the toughest challenge for me. I’ve setup a good routine but will continue to focus on creating healthy meals. My difficulty lies in those extra events that crop up: Lobsterfest this weekend! So I just take it one day at a time and be the best I can be. Since I want my 11 year old to enjoy vacation mode, the house is loaded up with a bag of Gummy Bears and Ice Cream treats (frozen cones, popsicles) neither of which tempts me in the least.  If I’m desperate, I’ll take a spoonful of Peanut Butter over Gummy bears or a popsicle.



And did I mention?  I don’t have a SCALE here!!!  Yes, I brought down a food scale (I’m not crazy) but no scale to weigh myself. I’m not sure how that will work, but on Thursday I’ll be where there is a scale and be able to tell if I’ve finally jumped off the plateau that has been frustrating me.

No comments:

Post a Comment