Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2017

Spreading Heart Health Awareness ~ Better Homes & Gardens Article

My 15 minutes of fame have arrived!  There’s a piece about me in the February 2017 edition of Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  I’m sure it will be a small snippet – the only questions are how small? And which picture was chosen, if any?

(Literally as I was typing, my sister called to say she received her February BH&G and I am in it!)


Back in October I was so motivated by the #GoRedGetFit group on Facebook that I changed the focus of my blog (KindCleaning.Blogspot.com) to identify my heart healthy motivation and goals. Read about it here: http://kindcleaning.blogspot.com/2016/10/gored-getfit-why-its-my-new-catchphrase.html.  

A couple of days later someone from the American Heart Association posted on the board about contacting women who were beginning to get healthy and finding out their “why” for a magazine article.  I was one of the first few to respond with a link to my blog.

Pretty quickly I was emailed by the AHA person and then connected with the writer.  We emailed and had a telephone interview.  I had to send her a handful of photos of myself.


Since my interview I’ve continued to spread the news about Heart Disease with daily exercise Facebook updates accompanied with some Heart Facts; I’ve arranged for both schools my children attend to participate in the Wear Red for Women’s Heart Health Day on February 3rd; and I’ve taken the advice offered by the panel.  The writer has stayed in touch along the way.  Go buy the magazine!

And I'm actually looking forward to visiting my doctors this month.  Not the exam part, but I know they will see a weight loss and hopefully improved blood pressure.  Coincidentally I visit my Primary Care Physician on February 3rd!  So I'll be wearing Red and handing out stickers and flyers to everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment