Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Doctor Visit Hacks for Women

In the past I'd arrive to the tiny cold exam room and be told to put on 2 sheets of paper.  One was supposed to be a top and the other was supposed to wrap around like a sarong. Exit nurse - Engage butterfingers as I attempt to unfold the "top" without tearing it. If I managed to get both pieces positioned on my body I would then try to scoot up to the exam table and hear the inevitable rip.  Then I would have to sit with arms fully engaged holding the paper over myself.  I'm not extremely shy, but it's cold and the lights are very bright!



Now I bring my own gown. I keep an old nursing gown for this purpose.  It scrunches small enough to be tossed in my purse.  I think a short cotton robe would be even better (opening in front.)  I still take the sarong-paper sheet for a little extra coverage.  I can pretend I have a blanket draping over my legs.

Prep work: most of us figure out after several years that they will ask the first day of our last cycle, so make sure to have that date in your mind.  I spent years mumbling days before the nurse would point to a calendar as if that would help my temporary mental incompetence.

As I've aged from taking 0 meds and 0 vitamins, they now ask those questions.  And they want to know exact milligrams!  This one I've solved easily by taking a photo of my vitamins (thankfully, no regular meds yet!) before I leave.  I can just pull up the picture on my phone and read it off to them.


My visit today is done and I get to do this again with my GP in 2 weeks.  The good part is I showed a weight loss this year and proudly showed off my Better Homes & Gardens article!

No comments:

Post a Comment