Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016

School Supply list Overload! 4 Tips to Keep the Cost Down When Buying School Supplies

Back to school and crazy long school supply lists have hit our inboxes. Here are some tips I’ve learned over the years:

1. Buy the basic version and stock up!
The notebook on sale for $0.50? The pack of glue sticks for $0.10? Grab a handful and toss into your cart. If you’re picky about certain things, splurge (but then don’t complain about the price).  Personally I’m a pencil snob – Ticonderoga for me please.  For example, I buy the cheapest folders for $0.05 each then replace them 2 or 3 times a year and I’ve still spent less than $1.00 on folders.  The pretty, shiny ones are $1.99 and still end up pulling apart mid-year.  Surveying ads from several big box stores, I find pencils, pens, erasers, crayons, note books, composition books, index cards, glue sticks, pencil boxes and folders all at super low prices. So my kid doesn’t have fancy desk supplies – they can learn to make do.

2. Review the list for items you have at home
I already have a calculator and rolls of tape.  We saved several notebooks from last year that only had a few pages used.  Put a white address label over the “SPELLING” label on the front and it’s good to go for a new year where it can become “MATH” now. This year my daughter really thought I was going to buy her new earbuds for school, hah! I have a basket of those at home.  She showed me one with a bit of earwax in it – I showed her where we keep the q-tips and toothpicks so she could clean them.

3. When on clearance, buy more!
Although I hate to grab clearance items just because the price is so low, stationary items will come in handy.  I have several notebooks with cool, fancy covers, some even are that “M” brand (!) and since I picked them up on clearance they are waiting for this year.  See, my kids do get some of the fancy stuff!
There will be a big clearance a few weeks after school has begun.  After that just scan those Clearance endcaps occasionally and don’t pass up the school supplies just because you have enough for this year.

4. Give-a, Get-a
If you do find that you’ve accumulated 20 glue sticks, send some extra in for the teacher to distribute to kids who may have forgotten (I’m begin NICE) to get theirs.  Teachers will also take extra craft supplies off your hands happily!  I was a major scrapbooker for years, and after a long hiatus, I wanted new supplies.  My daughter’s 4th Grade teacher was thrilled with all my papers and stickers that her students could use.
Conversely, everything is not required. I do not use hand sanitizer (I speak with the teacher every year and give permission for my special snowflake to use soap & water in the classroom sink to wash her hands), so I don’t send any in.  I think it’s bad for the environment and for our health.  I’ll send in extra tissues though!

When they throw something weird at you, don’t sweat it.  I recall searching high & low for “2nd Grade Composition book” and “3 Subject Notebook with Pocket dividers.”  The first I found, the second, I sent in a 5 subject with pockets and called it a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment