Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2016

My Norwex 16 month Check Up

Happy 16 months to me!  If my job were a baby, it’d be walking, talking and growing by leaps and bounds every day.  My career needs some remedial help then!  Not really, I’ve let it take a backseat when I need to, which works right for me.  This summer (hey, I was in “summer” mind set by May) I’ve neglected my business and this blog.  Although I’ve not neglected constantly analyzing the successes and failures I’ve and others have had in the direct selling marketplace.

Three other family members and five friends have all begun direct selling businesses since I’ve been into Norwex.  Has my blog helped?  I hope so!  But I want to get REAL and explain some of the details of this business. Even as I watch my friends post like crazy about their business, I wonder about their expectations and disappointments
.
PRO: Direct Selling offers an outlet for many of us at home (whether w/children, unemployed, or retired) that drives our schedules and encourages us positively.  We get to focus on something outside of our families, socialize and feel confident we are providing a desired service.

CON: There will be backlash. One reason I slowed down was that I don’t want to be “Carol, the Norwex Lady” unless I’m at a vendor event.  I want to be “Carol, my friend…who also sells Norwex offering awesome environmentally safe products.” Income varies from minimal to modest.  Yes, some leaders are earning into the high $60,000s BUT they are working many, many hours.  One of my friends pointed out that for that income; you can work a standard sales job and still have regular hours and health benefits.


   Yes! I'll host a party!              I'll come to your party!                             No! I Shop at Walmart!

 There’s a spectrum of attitudes that range from “Yes, I’d love to host a party” to “please remove me from this group and don’t ever try to sell me anything…ever….I mean it….”  Now the person on the left (of my spectrum only, I am making absolutely zero political correlations) understands that by host
ing a party she will receive gobs of free product for little work.  Maybe she wants to try out Norwex, has been to a party and just doesn’t want to spend money at this time. Hosting is definitely the way to go!  The person on the right thinks they are avoiding a scam/pyramid scheme but they are actually just supporting “the man” (yes, an allusion from the ‘60s).  The reason similar products may be selling for lower prices range from child labor to negligent production facilities to simple poor quality. 

During my time with Norwex I’ve often considered how long I’d stick with it and I’ve decided to stick it out another 6 months at least.  My expectations  of rapid growth were not met, but the ability to work on a flexible schedule, focus my days (when even my youngest in in school all day), and enjoy a greater purpose just for me have been met.  My disappointment in the few products I did not love, the fact that my business did not take off and taxes (ugh! I have to track every little widget!)  are manageable and give me knowledge to set realistic goals for my next 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment