Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

February Already? Time for a Goals/Accomplishments Update


Having a Fabulous February already, are you? I started my day at the gym where I did 40 minutes on the Elliptical and then some arm & shoulder machines.  On the Elliptical I select the “Variety” or “Weight Loss” workout and change the default time to 35 minutes.  Then I press “Options” and input my weight and age.  The machine adds a 5 minute cool down. After a few machines (the twisty one for my muffin top, one that had “shoulder” in the name and another one) I felt a little light headed so decided it was time to come home for breakfast.
My Favorite Breakfast Staples

Breakfast is either Quick Steel Cut Oatmeal (with 1 diced apple, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, 1/8 c. slivered almonds & 1 T Chia seeds) or Eggs & toast (or Protein English Muffin) with 1 T butter.  A few weeks ago I decided the oatmeal breakfast sticks with me longer, but today I went for the eggs & toast since it’s been about a week since I had that and I think the shot of protein in the eggs was needed this a.m.

My dilemma is finding a small snack to eat pre-breakfast on the days I want to go to the gym.  I have tried ½ c. grapefruit slices (in Extra Light syrup, drained) + ¼ c. cottage cheese.  This works, but I still get very hungry while exercising. I’d love suggestions. 

How did I do on those January Goals?

        Goals for January:
  •          Two exercise events on the same day  3x/week (Balance Board, Running, Gym)
  •          30 mins. HR exercise 6x/week
  •          Track food 5 days/week or more
  •          Keep calorie count near target of 1850/day
  •          Continue to forgive lapses and forge ahead, showing kindness to myself as I would to others.


I accomplished these goals and lost 4 pounds!  Yay!  After a tough time getting on track week 1 and a cold during week 3 I certainly had time to apply my final goal of the month.  I’m somewhat conflicted about the weight loss.  Happy that now that I’m sticking to about 1850 calories/day the weight loss has increased from ½ lb./wk to a full lb./wk.  However it’s still a little discouraging to realize how long it will take me to lose all the weight I want and to hear results of others who seem to drop 10 lbs. their first week on a new program. But I don’t wallow for long.  I’ve never believed in a quick fix or magic pill weight loss method for optimum health.  I know that what I am doing is healthy and allows my body to build muscle while reducing fat.  I know that I can work within my structure and LIVE this way – not just temporarily.  


Here’s a post I put on the #GoRedGetFit group on Facebook.  It had a lot of responses and I want to make sure I keep it handy for reference:

Here's my motivational thought this morning while on the Elliptical at the gym. I'm 51 years old. If I deduct my first 20 years as childhood/growing. I've had 30 great years: career, raising a family, travel, activity (skiing, hiking, adventures), another career. Now I have 30 more years ahead of me: should I be slowing down? NO! Should I weigh this much and just take pleasure in crafts, books & TV? NO! I want to actively make an impact and accomplish just as much in the next 30 years as the past 30! .... This is a high motivation day for me....I hope I can look back on this post when I need it...I hope someone who is low on motivation can feel inspired by this! Let's really LIVE life to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment