Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2021

Carol 2.O Renewal: Pandemic, New Job, Still Getting Healthy


Wow! It's been a while, but I love writing and it's time I stop monopolizing my MFP Group discussions and return to my blog. 

2019: renovated my new home; moved there; son was married; graduations (commissioning) and just an all around crazy year. My weight increased but not as heavy as when I began this journey in October of 2016.

On Jan 1 I created a small group on MFP of 10 women. We are now down to 3 of us but continue to provide weekly, sometimes daily, support to each other. This is when I donned the "Carol 2.0" moniker.

2020: From Jan 1 to early December I dropped 40 lbs.! However I've fluffed up a bit by the end of January 2021. After a scheduled break over Christmas I haven't been able to get back on the losing train but I'm not quitting at all. This is my lifestyle and if I'm "practicing maintenance" for a while, that is OK.


After years of primarily raising my children with a few part-time stints, August 2020 brought me a full-time job as a High School Building Sub. Everyday I work school hours and fill in where needed, often in the front office or library. Miraculously this school has been full in person all year 7 school days that were remote. The students are respectful, the faculty & staff are friendly and I truly feel like I have a work family. 

Diet: I'm using My Fitness Pal and counting calories. Naturally I can get more quantity when I go low carb and fill up on vegetables and fruit. But I'm not restricting anything as a rule; just keeping my calories around 1560/day keeps me losing, albeit slowly.

Exercise: I'm walking and playing outside. I usually have 1-2 walks with my old dog of about 1 mile each and then most of the past year I take daily walks of 2-3 miles alone. This has decreased since December also and I keep trying to get back up to 5-7 days/week.



At 55 years old I have a lot to offer: I've lived a great life thus far, I'm looking forward to my new career (I'll be working as a part-time teacher next year) and I'm determined to get and stay as healthy as possible. Most of all I enjoy writing and need an outlet. 

(P.S. - I've ignored the P word....some days I felt like I was living at the start of a dystopian novel...working and being with people has been my salvation...I have lots to write about this experience we've all been through over the past year but, not today)


No comments:

Post a Comment