Search This Blog

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Don't Talk to Your Toddlers in the Car

*** I'm clearing out my computer files and posting any unpublished blog postsn: this one should be filed under Parenting Tips! ***


When my 2nd child was approaching the talking age, I told myself not to answer him in the car; let him just get used to talking to himself.  Why, did I purposely squelch my infant’s emerging vocal curiosity? Because when my first baby started talking in the car I had responded to everything she said.  I clarified and asked leading questions. Oh, I was entranced by her intelligence and how easy it was to teach her descriptive words. …She said “truck.” And I said “yes, there goes a big truck.” Next time she’d say “big truck.” And I’d say “what do you think is in the big truck?” … But, I forgot where I was going!  With a talking 2 yr old and an almost 1 yr old in the car, I suddenly lost the ability to plan a logical route for my errands.  I needed some sanity!

Once my sanity somewhat returned and I added another small cherub to my minivan, I decided the key was to lead the conversation.  Here’s a game I started playing with the children when they were about 5 years old.  Today I played it with my 9 year old and realized that she has been heavily influenced by the GPS when she told me to “press destination” and “type in our address.”


“Take Me Home” Game (ages 5 and up)
  1.   Ask your child to give you directions to a familiar destination.  Start with something very easy, for example: when you are within 2 blocks from home ask her to tell you how to get home. 
  2. Instruct your child on correct terms for giving directions: turn right, proceed straight through the traffic light, etc.
  3. Remind them that you need to know what is coming up, because the driver cannot make sudden stops or turns.
  4. Allow them to steer you the wrong way!  This is fun as they realize “oh no, we past the turn!” Depending on their level, turn around and let them help you get back on the right route.  Today with my 9 year old, she was able to have me turn at the next street and figure out how to return to the route without turning around,
  5.   Add street names once they have mastered giving simple directions.  Warn them that you’ll be asking for street names next trip and point them out.  When he says “turn right at the next street,” repeat back “so, I turn right at Maple St.”

The bonuses of this game are the children:

  •          Learn the street names of their own neighborhood
  •          In an emergency will be able to give directions to their home
  •          Become observers of their surroundings
  •          Learn step procedures
  •          Build confidence


No comments:

Post a Comment